coronavirus (COVID-19) guide for renters - Tenants Victoria

    coronavirus (COVID-19) guide for renters

    New Victorian laws¹ temporarily change how the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 operates in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. These laws will apply for 6 months from 29 March 2020.

    The changes introduced by the new laws include:

    • changes to evictions, including a ban on notices to vacate
    • a ban on rent increases
    • changes to when tenants can move out
    • changes to tenants’ obligations, if related to COVID-19
    • restrictions on tenant database listing, if related to COVID-19
    • new protections for victim-survivors of family violence
    • a new dispute resolution process for tenants and landlords.

    More details about how the new laws work are provided in the regulations.
    We will update this information regularly.

    [1] Chapter 4 of the COVID-19 Omnibus (Emergency Measures) Act 2020 (Vic) introduces temporary amendments to the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (Vic).


    rent increases
    rent reductions
    rent relief grants
    financial help

    moving out
    people coming into your rented home
    protection from violence
    restraining orders

    tenants’ responsibilities and “COVID-19 reasons”
    tenant databases or ‘blacklists’ restrictions
    VCAT applications and hearings
    travel bans

    other renting law changes postponed

    share your experience

    Are you renting during the coronavirus (COVID-19) health emergency? Are you having any difficulties to do with your rented home due to the impacts of coronavirus (COVID-19)?

    We want to find out about anything that is negatively impacting tenants during this health emergency so we can try and change it: share your COVID-19 story (to help change the law).



    can I be evicted for falling behind in my rent because of COVID-19?

    No, you cannot be evicted between 29 March and 26 September 2020 for rent arrears caused by the impacts of COVID-19.

    It is important to know that if you could pay rent without it causing you hardship, VCAT may make you pay the rent, and if you refuse you could still be evicted.

    what if I get a notice to vacate?

    If you get a Notice to vacate on or after 29 March 2020, and before 26 September 2020, the notice is of no effect. This means you do not have to leave.

    what if I got a notice to vacate?

    If you got a Notice to vacate before 29 March 2020 with a termination date on or after 29 March 2020 the notice is of no effect. This means you do not have to leave.

    can I still be made to move out?

    Under the new laws, if the landlord wants you to leave they will have to apply to VCAT for a Termination Order.

    VCAT must consider if it is “reasonable and proportionate” before they can make an order to terminate the tenancy. This includes considering:

    1. the nature, frequency, duration and conduct that led to the application, including recurrent breaches of obligations
    2. whether it was trivial
    3. whether it was caused by someone other than the tenant
    4. any family violence or personal violence intervention orders or related matters
    5. whether it has been, or can be, remedied
    6. the effect of the conduct on other tenants
    7. the behaviour of the landlord or their agent
    8. whether VCAT could take any other action instead of making the order, and
    9. anything else VCAT thinks is relevant.

    See more detail about termination.

    If VCAT makes a Termination Order, and you do not leave by the date set in that order, the landlord cannot evict you unless VCAT has made a Possession Order.

    If VCAT made a Possession Order before 29 March 2020, the landlord cannot use this to evict you unless VCAT could have made the same order under the new laws. If your landlord has a possession order that was made before 29 March 2020 and is threatening to evict you, you should seek legal advice from your local legal service or contact us.

    If the landlord lives interstate, there are constitutional limitations that prevent VCAT from helping you. You should seek legal advice from your local legal service or contact us.

    illegal evictions

    If the landlord or agent does not follow all the steps in the law, if they threaten to evict you or if they attempt to illegally evict you, you can write a letter to the landlord to refrain from breaching your rights.

    You can use one of the example letters below and fill in details about your specific situation:

    what if the landlord applies for a Termination Order?

    With the new laws banning landlords from giving notices to vacate between 29 March 2020 and 26 September 2020, if a landlord wants you to move out they will have to apply to VCAT for a Termination Order.

    We are still waiting for the regulations to be finalised to get the full details of how a landlord can make this type of application, but we do know that VCAT will need to be satisfied about a number of things before they make a Termination Order.

    These include:

    if the tenant:

    • caused damage
    • caused danger
    • was threatening or intimidating
    • was violent, on certain properties
    • didn’t comply with an existing VCAT order
    • has failed to comply with their obligations under their agreement, including not paying rent when they could have without experiencing severe hardship
    • assigned/sublet without consent
    • kept a pet after VCAT had made an order for it to be excluded (removed)
    • used the property for an illegal purpose

    if the property:

    • is destroyed or unfit to live in
    • is needed for a public purpose

    if the landlord:

    • is selling
    • needs to move (or their family)

    and for public housing properties:

    • eligibility for public housing
    • drug offences e.g. trafficking, supplying, cultivating etc
    • indictable offences
    • repairs, renovations, rebuilding that can’t be done with a tenant in the property, or if the property needs to be demolished.

    VCAT will need to decide if termination is reasonable and proportionate before making an order. And they cannot make a Termination Order if the tenant’s failure to comply with their obligations, between 29 March 2020 and 26 September 2020, including paying rent, was due to a “COVID-19 reason”.


    6 month ban on rent increases

    can my rent be increased?

    No, the landlord is not allowed to increase the rent for six months from 29 March 2020.

    If you get a Notice of rent increase, or a rent increase starts, on or after 29 March 2020, it is not valid.

    rent reduction

    The Regulations accompanying the new COVID-19 laws about rent reductions have now been released and include details of a Dispute Resolution Scheme that tenants will be able to access if they cannot get a reduction from the landlord.

    how do I get a rent reduction?

    The first step is to contact your landlord and try to make an agreement about rent reduction.

    rent reduction letters

    If you need help to write to the landlord or agent to reduce your rent, try one of our example letters.

    Letter to the real estate agent:

    Letter to the landlord:

    Or see:

    rent reduction agreement

    It is really important that you get any agreement about rent reduction in writing. So you may also want to include a rent reduction agreement with your letter.

    For an example agreement, see: temporary rent reduction agreement [doc, 53kb].

    All you need to do is fill in the details so it’s ready for the landlord to sign. And make sure you keep a copy for yourself before you send it to the landlord or agent.

    if I get an agreement to reduce the rent, what do I do next?

    The next step is to register the agreement with Consumer Affairs Victoria.

    This will help secure your agreement, and will also allow you to apply for a rent relief grant (if you are eligible), and the landlord to apply for any land tax discounts available to them.

    what if I can’t get an agreement?

    If you cannot reach an agreement with the landlord, you can register with Consumer Affairs Victoria who will help you reach an agreement or refer you and the landlord to mediation by Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria.

    If you still cannot come to an agreement after mediation, under the Dispute Resolution Scheme the Chief Dispute Resolution Officer can make a decision about:

    • whether it’s appropriate to order a reduction, or
    • if the dispute can be referred to VCAT for orders to reduce rent and/or enter into a payment plan.

    Consumer Affairs Victoria have published some information on the new process for rent reduction [CAV website].

    will I have to pay the rest later?

    If you make an agreement for a rent reduction you only need to pay the reduced amount for the time of the agreement. At the end of the agreement, you will pay your full rent, but you should not have to pay any more than that.

    If you make an agreement to delay or defer rent payments, you may pay a reduced amount or no rent for the time of the agreement. Then you will need to pay the deferred amount back when the agreement is over.

    Tenants experiencing hardship should NOT accept rent deferrals.

    what if the landlord will only agree to defer, but not reduce, my rent?

    Important: You do not have to agree to have your rent delayed/deferred instead of reduced if this does not suit your financial circumstances. It is important that you do not end up with a rent debt that you later may not be able to repay.

    You also do not have to agree that your rights will be reduced in exchange for a rent reduction, for example: if the landlord only agrees to a reduction in exchange for you not asking for repairs.

    If you cannot come to an agreement that suits your financial circumstances, or your landlord will only agree if you agree to your rights being reduced, or it’s taking too long to get an agreement, you should apply to Consumer Affair Victoria to start the dispute resolution process.

    This process is designed to help you.

    will I be allowed to have a lawyer or support person at my mediation?

    Consumer Affairs Victoria has published some information for tenants about having a support person help you to negotiate a rent reduction [CAV website, 19 May 2020]:

    The service is designed to be simple and easily accessible to most tenants. You do not need a lawyer or other advisor to get a positive outcome, and the process is designed to be fair for all parties.

    We recognise that you may need additional support to represent your interests or communicate details about the hardship you face as a result of coronavirus (COVID-19), and that person may be with you or represent you at any stage. You should make sure you both understand what they are authorised to say or agree to on your behalf.

    Examples where this may be appropriate include:

    ~You need a translator – please call the free translation service on 1300 405 282 (9am to 5pm Monday to Friday – except public holidays.)

    ~A financial counsellor is working with you on a number of financial matters, including your ability to pay rent

    ~A tenancy agency is helping you

    ~You have sought advice from a community legal centre due to the complexity of your situation.

    rent relief grants

    The Victorian Government has established a rent relief grant for Victorians experiencing rental hardship due to COVID-19.

    The rent relief grant itself is not part of the new laws, but it is related to them. To be able to access the grant you will first need to follow the steps of the rent reduction process, and have your agreement registered with Consumer Affairs Victoria.

    how is it paid?

    The rent relief grant can only be used to pay for rent. If you are assessed as being eligible any grant (up to $2,000) will be paid directly to the landlord or agent.

    For more information see: Coronavirus (COVID-19) rent relief grant [DHHS website].

    am I eligible?

    To be eligible you must have less than $5,000 in savings (excluding your superannuation) and be paying at least 30 per cent of your income in rent.

    Your financial circumstances will also need to have been significantly affected by COVID-19 through loss of employment and/or your pay being reduced by 20% or more, and your household income less than $1,903.00/week (before tax).

    Find out if you are eligible: Rent Relief Grant [DHHS website]

    financial help

    accessing your super

    We recommend you get financial advice before you access your superannuation.

    Have you received a letter or email from the real estate agent advising you to access your super? Financial advice must only be provided by qualified and licensed financial advisers, or financial counsellors.

    3 April 2020: ASIC has written a letter to the real estate institutes in each state outlining concerns about some real estate agents who are advising tenants to apply for early release of their superannuation. ASIC letter – Unlicensed financial advice by real estate agents to tenants.

    financial help

    For help, see Moneysmart (COVID-19) [Gov website].
    You can talk to a financial counsellor by calling the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007.

    Private Rental Brokerage Program (PRAP) provides financial and practical assistance to establish and maintain private rental tenancies for people who are homeless or those who are at risk of homelessness, who are able to maintain private rental, or who are in private rental and need targeted time limited assistance to maintain their private rental.

    Housing Establishment Funds (HEF) helps individuals and families who are homeless or at imminent risk of homelessness to access emergency or alternative housing options, such as registered rooming houses, hotels/motels and caravan parks.

    People experiencing or at risk of homelessness can call the toll free homelessness hotline on 1800 825 955. This number will direct the call to the closest homelessness entry point, or if the call is outside business hours, it will be directed to the After Hours service.

    moving out

    can I move out?

    The new laws, which will apply from 29 March 2020 until 26 September 2020, previously contained an error preventing many tenants from giving a Notice of Intention to Vacate to move out of their homes.

    This error has now been fixed with the introduction of the Regulations, which reinstates the usual rights tenants have under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 to give a Notice of Intention to Vacate.

    This means you have the right give a Notice of Intention to Vacate with no less than 28 days’ notice, if the vacate date in your notice is on or after the end date in your lease (end of the fixed-term).

    It also means you have the right to give a Notice of Intention to Vacate with a reduced notice period of no less than 14 days to end your lease for these reasons:

    • you need special care
    • you have received and accepted an offer of public housing or housing from a registered housing agency
    • you need to move into temporary crisis accommodation
    • you live in special disability accommodation resident and the landlord’s registration to provide this accommodation has been revoked.

    The new laws also add two more reasons that you can give a 14-day Notice of Intention to Vacate:

    • you are suffering severe hardship (for example: financial reasons due to COVID-19) or
    • the landlord has made an application to VCAT to terminate the tenancy.

    Even though you have the right to leave early if the landlord applies for a termination order, it’s important to note that you are not required to move out. VCAT must consider if it is reasonable and proportionate before they can make an order to terminate the tenancy. For more information see eviction.

    what is a Notice of Intention to Vacate?

    A Notice of Intention to Vacate is simply a letter or email to the landlord that states the date you will be leaving. The notice must be in writing and must include the date you’ll be moving out.

    can I leave on the end date of my lease?

    If you intend to move out on the date that the fixed term ends, you still have to give written notice. This is because when a fixed-term agreement expires, it automatically continues as a periodic agreement (month to month) until either you give notice or VCAT makes a termination order.

    can I leave before the end of my lease?

    If you need to leave for any of the reasons listed for 14-day notices, you have the right to give a Notice of Intention to Vacate with the reduced notice period of 14 days at any time before the end of your lease.

    do I have to pay to leave early?

    A landlord cannot claim compensation or ask you to pay lease-break fees if you give a Notice of Intention to Vacate for any of the reasons listed for 14-day notices (and in cases involving family violence or personal violence intervention orders).

    is there a way to reduce my fixed-term lease?

    If you are in a fixed-term lease and you are not sure your situation would allow you to give a 14-day Notice of Intention to Vacate, you can apply to VCAT to ask that your tenancy agreement be reduced.

    Before making a decision VCAT will need to be satisfied that you would suffer severe hardship if the agreement isn’t reduced. VCAT will take into account both the hardship you may suffer if the agreement cannot be reduced and the hardship the landlord may suffer if it is reduced.

    In cases of family violence or personal violence where there is an intervention order in place, VCAT may be satisfied a tenant would suffer severe hardship if the agreement isn’t reduced.

    If your fixed term agreement is reduced by VCAT, you will not be liable for any lease breaking costs.

    For more information see: VCAT hearings and the tribunal (VCAT).

    people coming into your rented home

    Find out your rights on the landlord (or anyone else) coming into your rented home for:

    restricting entry to your home

    We suggest the landlord and their agents only arrange for someone to enter your home if urgent repairs are needed. You can write to the landlord or agent to request this.

    Sample letters including the new government directions will be available soon.

    protection from violence

    new family violence protections

    Victim-survivors of family violence will be able to apply to VCAT to get a lease in their name (excluding a perpetrator) or remove themselves from a lease and also protect themselves from the debt created by the perpetrator due to damage to the property or unpaid rent.

    Applications by victim-survivors will be heard within 3 days to help protect them.

    intervention orders

    An intervention order is a court order to to protect a person, their children and their property from another person’s behaviour.

    If you experience violence from a family member, partner or ex-partner, you can apply for a:

    Specialist family violence services remain open during the outbreak of COVID-19. There are also additional resources available online to support people during this time. See:

    If you experience violence from the landlord or any other person, you can apply for a:

    restraining orders

    A Restraining Order made by VCAT can prohibit or restrict the landlord or agent from entering the premises or contacting you and it can be enforced by the police. It is an offence for the landlord or agent to breach a Restraining Order and they can be prosecuted. See:

    tenants’ responsibilities and “COVID-19 reasons”

    what if I can’t fulfil my usual responsibilities because of COVID-19?

    While the COVID-19 pandemic continues there may be circumstances where you cannot, or it’s not reasonably practical for you to, comply with all of your usual obligations and responsibilities under your lease or the Residential Tenancies Act 1997. These include:

    • if you are ill (whether or not due to COVID-19)
    • complying with laws, directions and recommendations relating to COVID-19, and the control of COVID-19
    • you will suffer severe hardship if you do comply, or
    • there is an exceptional circumstance relating to COVID that makes it not possible, or practical, to comply.

    If you are unable to comply because of a “COVID-19” reason between 29 March 2020 and 26 September 2020 you will not be in breach of your agreement or your duties under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997.

    Note: This change also applies to landlords, and their duties under the agreement and the Act.

    tenant databases or ‘blacklists’ restrictions

    can the landlord blacklist me if I can’t pay my rent?

    No, you cannot be ‘blacklisted’ for rent arrears caused by the impacts of COVID-19. If the landlord lists you on a tenant database for this reason, you can get the listing removed. See: tenant databases and ‘blacklists’.

    VCAT applications and hearings

    changes to applying to VCAT – the Dispute Resolution Scheme

    The Regulations accompanying the new COVID-19 laws have now been released and include details of a Dispute Resolution Scheme which changes the way you apply to VCAT.

    how does the Dispute Resolution Scheme work?

    If you have a dispute with the landlord, before you apply to VCAT, you need to register with Consumer Affairs Victoria. This applies for all disputes, not just rent reductions or terminations.

    Consumer Affairs Victoria must assess all disputes and applications to VCAT and decide if they should be referred to:

    To apply to VCAT, you need a reference number from Consumer Affairs Victoria.

    how do I get a reference number for my VCAT application?

    The first step is to register the details of your dispute with Consumer Affairs Victoria [CAV website].

    If Consumer Affairs Victoria decide that the dispute can go to VCAT, they will give you a reference number to include in your VCAT application.

    what if it’s urgent?

    If you need to make an urgent application to VCAT, for example:

    • you are experiencing family violence and need urgent termination or creation orders for your lease
    • you are being threatened with illegal eviction and need a restraining order
    • your rights are being interfered with and you need an urgent restraining order
    • urgent repairs are required at the property

    Tenants Victoria recommends you call Consumer Affairs Victoria on 1300 558 181 and request they give you a reference number over the phone to allow you to make an urgent application.

    what is alternative dispute resolution?

    Alternative dispute resolution includes:

    • mediation or conciliation to come to an agreement, or agree to have orders made, or
    • making binding orders, if fair and reasonable, either with or without mediation or conciliation.

    For more information about what’s involved, see: Mediation [DSCV website].

    what disputes go to alternative dispute resolution?

    All payment-related disputes must be referred for alternative dispute resolution for further assessment, for example: a dispute about a rent reduction where the tenant and landlord can’t come to an agreement, or an application for termination for rent arrears where the arrears are due to COVID-19.

    what disputes go to VCAT?

    If a dispute is not payment related, and suitable for VCAT to hear, it will be referred to VCAT.

    Consumer Affairs Victoria will refer a dispute to VCAT if they assess:

    • a dispute is not suitable for alternative dispute resolution, or later found to be no longer be suitable, or
    • it’s not appropriate for an order to be made through the dispute resolution process, or
    • an order is made, but is later breached.

    changes to VCAT hearings

    Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) has changed how it operates to comply with COVID-19 restrictions. All VCAT venues are closed to the public and non-critical cases have been adjourned (postponed).

    VCAT is still hearing some cases about rented homes (known as the Residential Tenancies List) by phone. For more information, tips and sample emails, see:

    For information about how this may affect any application or hearing that you are involved with, contact VCAT:

    travel bans

    The coronavirus (COVID-19) has caused some tenants to be unable to freely travel or to fulfil their contractual obligations. It has also given rise to potential discrimination and exploitation of the situation for financial gain.

    Tenants Victoria is committed to supporting and advocating for all Tenants in the State of Victoria to have access to housing that is fair, safe and dignified, and to assist parties to resolve their dispute professional and efficiently.

    common situations arising from the coronavirus travel bans

    Coronavirus (COVID-19) has affected people in varying ways, but people and families that have travelled to and from China since 1 February 2020 are especially affected, as there are numerous Quarantine procedures and protocols being implemented in Australia, China and abroad.

    These protocols mean that some tenants will need to return home and end or break their tenancy lease, while other who were expecting to be able start a new lease will not be able to. Tenants and potential tenants may be unfairly treated for various reasons because of misconceptions about the virus or its epidemiology.

    International students are a tenancy group that is expected to be significantly affected by coronavirus (COVID-19).

    Below are a few common situations that students/tenants might may encounter:


    I signed up for a residential tenancy agreement in Victoria, but now I cannot travel to Australia

    Step 1: The first thing you need to work out is whether you have actually entered into a binding agreement.

    Step 2: Secondly, if you have entered into an agreement, you need to work out what sort of agreement have you entered into.

    If you have entered into a Residential Tenancies Act (Vic) 1997 Agreement, then you need to choose from four main options:

    1) Terminate by lease by mutual agreement

    Try to terminate the lease by agreement. This may involve agreement to pay a lump sum of some amount of your discretion. If the landlord has any bond or rent money, they don’t have an automatic right just to keep this money, so you can challenge them by going to VCAT.

    2) Assignment (transferring your lease to someone else with consent of landlord or Order from VCAT)

    Do you know anyone in Australia that could take over the lease for you? You can request to transfer your lease to someone else with the written consent of the landlord. If they refuse, you can either apply to VCAT (section 82, Residential Tenancies Act (Vic) 1997), or raise this as a factor that the landlord has failed to mitigate loss if they allege you have broken the lease.

    3) Reduction of Fixed Term Tenancy

    You can write an email to the landlord telling them you intend to apply to VCAT to reduce your tenancy due to unforeseen circumstances. You will need to outline what has happened in your particular situation that means you need to end the lease. You should apply as soon as possible as time is of the essence to reduce your liability. We would recommend that you apply to VCAT and send an email at the same time.

    4) Break your lease

    The final option is simple to write a letter indicating the reasons you are breaking your lease. You should confirm that you no longer wish to proceed with the lease and that you do not intend to collect the keys. You should clearly remind the landlord that they should relet the premises as soon as possible.


    I am in a fixed term lease, but need to unexpectedly return home for family reasons.

    This is similar to any other lease breaking situation where something unforeseen has happened.


    I am an international student and have paid a deposit but haven’t signed the contract

    It is important to recognise that you can enter a lease agreement in many ways. This can be done orally (which can be harder prove), by click wrap (accepting terms and conditions on a website or app), by email exchange back and forth, or by entering into a written agreement.

    The general principle an agreement is made of is a clear offer and clear acceptance. An offer must include all essential terms and be clearly accepted without further condition by the other party. If this does not occur then this is not a “true meeting of the minds” and parties are still in negotiations. Any money paid in the course of negotiations in good faith in an effort to secure the right to negotiate, is then a hold or application deposit, and subject to section 50, Residential Tenancies Act (Vic) 1997.

    It is common for people to respond to ads, and in many cases agents will indicate that your application “has been accepted’, but a lease has still not been entered into.

    Sometimes, the question of whether you have entered into the lease or not is unclear, and will have to be determined by VCAT. Generally, a tenant will allege the money is a holding deposit, and the landlord will allege the tenant has broken their lease. This will be a matter for VCAT to determine.

    What to do to get a holding deposit back?

    To apply for any money back (other than bonds), all you need to do is apply to VCAT under section 210, Residential Tenancies Act (Vic) 1997, using this application:


    The burden to prove if a contract has been entered into or not, will be based on the person that applies to the Tribunal.

    In other words, if you apply to VCAT seeking your holding deposit, you will need to prove that no agreement was reached. Equally, if the landlord is seeking to make you pay more money for breaking the lease, they will need to prove a contract was entered into.


    I am an international student currently in student housing, but needs to break my lease

    Firstly, it is important to determine if you are covered by the Residential Tenancies Act (Vic) 1997. The main exemption that relates to student housing is section 21, Residential Tenancies Act (Vic) 1997: Educational institutions. While many providers claim not to be covered by the Residential Tenancies Act (Vic) 1997, the requirements to be exempt from the Act are onerous. Generally, the accommodation must be part of a specific learning institution or have formal affiliations with a particular institution, and are used primarily to accommodate students of that institution. Formal affiliations requires a written agreement between the accommodation provider

    Even if the exemption under section 21 applies, the Australian Consumer Law and Fair Trading Act 2012 still applies, and in fact, this may have some benefits.

    Breaking a lease in student accommodation can have more economic risks that breaking an ordinary lease. There are three main reasons for this; Firstly, student housing generally can only be let to enrolled students; Secondly, once semester has started, there is less movement or demand for students moving into mid-way through semester, meaning there is less demand; Thirdly, in some student accommodation where there are high vacancies. The law is unclear whether the landlord needs to let out your vacant room as a priority, or whether they are legally entitled to rent out other vacant rooms first.

    The processes available for breaking the lease as the same as any other lease breaking situations. However, where you need to lease the rented premises, it is strongly advisable to consider making an application for reduction of fixed term tenancy as compared to simply breaking your lease.


    I live in a share house and one of my housemates has had to leave

    When people are on a lease together, this is called being co-tenants. Co-tenants are jointly and severally liable. This continues even if someone leaves. If co-tenants wants to change who is a tenant, this process is called assignment. See section 81-84, Residential Tenancies Act (Vic) 1997.

    For more information see Shared Households and Assignment.

    Note: Tenants Victoria does not advise in relation to co-tenant disputes.

    However, if one co-tenant needs to leave due to family needs or other health reasons, it may be in everyone’s interest to determine if the household needs to end the lease, or whether the tenant’s interest can be assigned.

    Assignment can be done in two ways; it can be done to reduce the number of people (and the remaining rent obligations are increased amongst the co-tenants), or a substitute tenants can be found. The latter being the best options but this is not always easy with respect to time. It is possible to reduce the number and then later do another assignment when the new tenant is found. This is likely the neatest option if someone is not immediately available. It is up to the co-tenants to decide.

    It is important that the affected tenant is involved in the assignment, because without releasing the person, it will be very difficult to do future assignments, and it is unlikely the person will contribute to pay the rent anyway.

    If they are not released and no one covers this share of rent, or the exiting person refuses to continue to pay their share, rent arrears will accrue. If more than 14 days worth arrears accrues, the landlord can give you a Notice to Vacate (see Avoiding Eviction for Rent Arrears).

    What if I have been discriminated against because of my race, nationality or disability?

    If you believe that you have been treated unfairly because of your nationality or a disability you have, you can raise this complaint with the Victoria Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission (VHREOC).

    This is a free service that can facilitate conciliation and assist parties to reach their own agreements. If the conciliation is unsuccessful or parties wish to, they can apply to VCAT under the Equal Opportunity list [VCAT website].

    What if I paid a bond, does it still have to be lodged with the RTBA?

    All monies paid as bonds, must be lodged with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA), even if tenancy did not commence (section 406, Residential Tenancies Act (Vic) 1997 ). In others words, if you paid a bond and had to cancel the lease (unless the money is immediately refunded to you), the landlord must lodge the money with the RTBA.

    It is unlawful for a landlord to simple take a bond in lieu of any debt without lodging it, regardless of whether you have broken your lease or are alleged to owe them money. If you landlord is refusing to lodge a bond, contact Consumer Affairs Victoria immediately.

    If you don’t know if you bond has been lodged, you can call the RTBA on 1300 137 164 and provide you name and the proposed rental address.

    other renting law changes postponed

    Most of the other, pending changes to the Victorian laws on renting: Residential Tenancies Act 1997, which were set to begin on 1 July 2020, will now be delayed until 1 January 2021 (this includes minimum standards, mandatory pre-disclosure, safety standards, and more). See: law changes.

    Family violence protections will not be deferred. For details on new family violence protections, see: protection from violence.

    find out more

    For the latest information on the state of emergency in Victoria, see:

    For the latest information on coronavirus (COVID-19), see:

    If you are feeling unwell, see:

    For employment changes, see:

    For travel restrictions, see:

    For news on legal rights and support for renters, see:


    This information is a guide only and should not be used as a substitute for professional legal advice.

    need more help?

    contact us

    Tenants Victoria | Published: February 2020 | Modified: May 2020
    Tenants advice line 03 9416 2577 |
    Tenants Victoria acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government.

    Tenants Victoria acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government.