Advice is general in nature, consult a legal practitioner for your specific circumstances.

Financial help

Payments from the state government are available if you have had to self-isolate while waiting for test results. Other concessions and grants are available to help you pay for some household bills, while free advice is available by speaking to a financial counsellor if bills are getting on top of you.

Payments for workers waiting for test results or self-isolating

Victorian workers can apply for a $450 Coronavirus (COVID-19) Test Isolation Payment while they self-isolate to wait for the results of a COVID-19 test.

If you test positive or are a close contact of a confirmed case, you may be eligible for the $1500 Coronavirus (COVID-19) Worker Support Payment while you are quarantining at home as instructed by the Department of Health and Human Services.

If you are the parent or guardian of a child under 16 who has tested positive for coronavirus or are a close contact of a confirmed case and you have been instructed by the Department to self-isolate or quarantine, you may also be eligible for the $1500 Coronavirus (COVID-19) Worker Support Payment.

Accessing your super

Landlords and real estate agents should not be asking tenants to access their superannuation to pay rent.

If you are thinking about accessing your superannuation, we strongly recommend you get financial advice first. You are not required to access your superannuation to pay your rent.

If you are having difficulty paying your rent due to the pandemic, and the landlord or agent won’t agree to reduce your rent, follow the steps on the rent reduction page.

Private Rental Assistance Program (PRAP)

The Private Rental Assistance Program (PRAP) helps people:

  • who are homeless or are at risk of homelessness to establish and maintain a private rental, or
  • who are already in private rental and need assistance for a short time to maintain that rental.

The assistance includes paying for:

  • rent in advance,
  • rental arrears and rental subsidies,
  • minor property modifications, and
  • skills training including financial management and budgeting.

To find out more contact 1800 825 955 (free call 24 hours).

Housing Establishment Fund (HEF)

The Housing Establishment Fund (HEF) helps people who are homeless or are at imminent risk of homelessness to access emergency or alternative housing, such as registered rooming houses, hotels or motels and caravan parks.

If you are experiencing, or are at risk of, homelessness, call the toll free hotline: 1899 825 955


Financial counselling (free service)
Information and tips
Was this page helpful?

Cookies and Privacy:This site uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.

Find out more Accept