Advice is general in nature, consult a legal practitioner for your specific circumstances.

Family violence and your tenancy

COVID-19 update

New family violence protections

Victim-survivors of family violence will be able to apply to VCAT to get a lease in their name (excluding a perpetrator) or remove themselves from a lease and also protect themselves from the debt created by the perpetrator due to damage to the property or unpaid rent.

Applications by victim-survivors will be heard within 3 days to help protect them.

Where to get help

Specialist family violence services remain open during the outbreak of COVID-19. There are also additional resources available online to support people during this time. See:

Intervention orders

An intervention order is a court order to to protect a person, their children and their property from another person’s behaviour.

If you experience violence from a family member, partner or ex-partner, you can apply for a:

Family violence protection for renters

If you live in rental housing and have been affected by family violence (sometimes called domestic violence), find information about:

  • Changing the locks
  • Getting an intervention order
  • Staying in the rental property
  • Leaving the rental property
  • Applying to VCAT (including sample applications)
  • Public housing tenants

family violence protection TENANCY KIT (

Also see Consumer Affairs Victoria for information on:
Changing the rental arrangement in violent situations [CAV website]
Changing the locks [CAV website]


Was this page helpful?

Cookies and Privacy:This site uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.

Find out more Accept