family violence and your tenancy

COVID-19 update

new family violence protections

Victim-survivors of family violence will be able to apply to VCAT to get a lease in their name (excluding a perpetrator) or remove themselves from a lease and also protect themselves from the debt created by the perpetrator due to damage to the property or unpaid rent.

Applications by victim-survivors will be heard within 3 days to help protect them.

where to get help

Specialist family violence services remain open during the outbreak of COVID-19. There are also additional resources available online to support people during this time. See:

intervention orders

An intervention order is a court order to to protect a person, their children and their property from another person’s behaviour.

If you experience violence from a family member, partner or ex-partner, you can apply for a:

family violence protection tenancy kit

If you live in rental housing and have been affected by family violence (sometimes called domestic violence), see the family violence protection TENANCY KIT ( for information about:

  • Changing the locks
  • Getting an intervention order
  • Staying in the rental property
  • Leaving the rental property
  • Applying to VCAT (including sample applications)
  • Public housing tenants


Also see the Consumer Affairs Victoria website for information on:
Changing the rental arrangement in violent situations
Changing the locks


Tenants Victoria acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government.