Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: Temporary changes to Victoria’s laws on renting homes. Find out more

Problems with landlord
Learn about the steps you can take if you have a dispute with the landlord. We cover landlord breaches and breach notices, going to VCAT, and where you can make a complaint.

Landlord breaches their duties

If the landlord breaks the rules, there are steps you can take to get them to fix the problem and/or pay you compensation.

Learn More

Breach of duty notice

If you get a Breach of duty notice, here’s what you need to do.

Learn More

Defending a compensation claim

What you can do if the landlord wants your bond money or wants you to pay them compensation.

Learn More

How to make a complaint

You can make an official complaint about the landlord or agent if you think what they are doing is illegal or unprofessional. Find out where and how to make your complaint.

Learn More

The tribunal (VCAT)

VCAT hears disputes between tenants and landlords. Before you apply to VCAT, you need to register with Consumer Affairs Victoria. And most VCAT hearings are done by phone. See our COVID-19 guide for the latest rules.

COVID-19 guide for renters

VCAT fees and costs

Applications to VCAT are free when you want to get your bond back.

Find out the difference between fees and costs, and what you need to pay when your case goes to VCAT.

Learn More

Cookies and Privacy:This site uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.

Find out more Accept