advice for tenants

    Our services are free and in high demand. So there is often a long wait.

    before you call – check advice on our website

    We have lots of information on common issues for renters at: advice.
    Also see frequently asked questions.

    email advice

    Get information and basic advice by email.

    tenants advice line: 03 9416 2577

    Monday to Friday 9.00am to 4.00pm
    Free advice for anyone renting a home in Victoria
    Important information before you call

    social housing advice line: 1800 068 860

    Monday to Friday 9.00am to 4.00pm
    Free advice if you rent public or community housing in Victoria
    Important information before you call

    rooming house residents

    Monday to Friday 9.00am to 4.00pm
    If you live in a rooming house in Victoria call 03 9411 1444 and ask for Outreach.
    Or leave a message and the Outreach worker will contact you.

    community service workers

    Monday to Friday 12.30pm to 4.00pm
    Free advice or support for workers at not-for-profit organisations assisting people who rent a home in Victoria.
    For advice or support on residential tenancy problems, you can consult one of our lawyers on 03 9411 1444.

    other tenancy services

    Consumer Affairs Victoria
    Information and advice to tenants, co-tenants and landlords. Phone 1300 55 81 81 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)

    Tenancy Plus (formerly known as SHASP)
    Assistance for tenants in social housing (including public housing and community housing).

    Tenancy Assistance and Advocacy Program (TAAP)
    Assistance for tenants in private rental housing, (including privately operated rooming houses and caravan parks), who are in significant financial hardship or affected by family violence.

    other legal services

    For legal advice if you are impacted by Victorian bushfires:

    For legal advice you can contact:

    For information about new or current legal proceedings, you can contact:

    • VCAT, Phone: 1300 018 228, (Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm closed public holidays).



    Our admin staff cannot give you advice about renting. If you need advice see advice for tenants.

    We are closed weekends and public holidays.

    call: 03 9411 1444


    postal address: PO Box 234, Fitzroy VIC 3065


    Our fact sheets are available online as webpages and PDFs at advice.
    Tenants and organisations are welcome to place an order for printed copies.
    Please complete an order form, then mail or fax it to us:

    Print publications order form [Sept 2019, pdf 134kb]


    If you have a complaint about the service you received from us, see the Tenants Victoria Legal Service complaints policy and procedure.


    We value your opinion. If you have any suggestions, compliments or concerns about our publications, website or anything else please send us your feedback.

    Tenants Victoria acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government.