If the Director of Housing has to get repairs or cleaning done, they might try to get compensation from the tenant. This is called a Maintenance Claim Against a Tenant (MCAT).

What you can do

If the affected person did not cause part or all of the damage, you can

  • ask for the costs to be reviewed
  • do it at your local housing office
  • do it in writing
  • keep a copy of the letter or form.

What the policies say

  • If the perpetrator caused the damage, the Director of Housing will not charge the affected person for the costs of repairs to the property.
  • The affected person may need to provide information and supporting evidence, like an intervention order. It can be helpful to include evidence from family members, witnesses and the police, the affected person’s doctor or other health professional, family violence worker or other relevant support worker.

Find out more

Maintenance Manual, Tenant property damage operational guidelines, July 2017 [DHHS website]

This information is a guide only and should not be used as a substitute for professional legal advice.

Need more help with this?
Contact us

Was this helpful?

Yes No
You indicated this topic was not helpful to you ...
Could you please leave a comment telling us why? Thank you!
Thanks for your feedback.