In some cases, the Director of Housing can end a lease in one name and start a new lease with someone else who lives there. This is called “Transfer of Tenancy” in the DHHS policies and requires a VCAT Order.
What you can do
- If the perpetrator’s name is on the lease, you can apply to VCAT to remove their name from the lease.
- If the affected person’s name is not on the lease, you can apply to VCAT to add their name to the lease.
- You can apply to VCAT to do both of these at the same time.
- Also see Staying in the rental property
What VCAT can do
- VCAT can order to end the agreement between the Director of Housing and the current tenants.
- They can also order the Director of Housing to start a new agreement with the affected person (and any others).
Find out more
This information is a guide only and should not be used as a substitute for professional legal advice.
Need more help with this?