In some cases, the Director of Housing can end a lease in one name and start a new lease with someone else who lives there. This is called “Transfer of Tenancy” in the DHHS policies and requires a VCAT Order.

What you can do

  • If the perpetrator’s name is on the lease, you can apply to VCAT to remove their name from the lease.
  • If the affected person’s name is not on the lease, you can apply to VCAT to add their name to the lease.
  • You can apply to VCAT to do both of these at the same time.

What VCAT can do

  • VCAT can order to end the agreement between the Director of Housing and the current tenants.
  • They can also order the Director of Housing to start a new agreement with the affected person (and any others).

Find out more

Tenancy Management Manual, Chapter 15: Transfer of Tenancy, October 2017 [DHHS website]

This information is a guide only and should not be used as a substitute for professional legal advice.

Need more help with this?
Contact us

Was this helpful?

Yes No
You indicated this topic was not helpful to you ...
Could you please leave a comment telling us why? Thank you!
Thanks for your feedback.