If the affected person lives in public housing, the law is the same but some of the steps are different. There are also specific public housing policies and procedures that deal with hardship due to family violence. You can read about some of these policies below.

Who’s who

  • The department that manages public housing in Victoria is Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS).
  • The landlord for public housing tenants is the Director of Housing. So when filling in the landlord’s name on forms, you need to write ‘Director of Housing’. Applications and notices to the landlord should be addressed to ‘Director of Housing’.

What you need

To make use of the DHHS policies, the affected person may have to provide information about their situation and supporting evidence, like an intervention order or a letter from a doctor, lawyer or community support worker who can confirm the family violence. This evidence can be useful in getting the Director of Housing to delay taking any legal action against the affected person.

Get help with

Changing the locks
Trouble paying rent
Leaving the rental property
Changing the lease
Getting another place
Damage to the property
Appeals and complaints

This information is a guide only and should not be used as a substitute for professional legal advice.

Need more help with this?
Contact us

Was this helpful?

Yes No
You indicated this topic was not helpful to you ...
Could you please leave a comment telling us why? Thank you!
Thanks for your feedback.