frequently asked questions

    what renting laws are changing?

    See our guide on law changes: what will change?

    when do the changes to renting laws start?

    See our guide on law changes: when will the changes take effect?

    how do I get something fixed?

    See our guide on repairs when renting a home.

    how do I get my bond back?

    See our guide on bond payments and refunds.

    can I get compensation?

    See our guide on compensation for tenants.

    I got a notice to vacate – do I have to leave?

    Just because you receive a Notice to vacate, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to move out. If the landlord wants to evict you, they must first apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) and convince VCAT that they should be granted a possession order. You may also be able to apply to VCAT to challenge a notice to vacate if you think it is not valid. See reasons for notices, how long you should get and if you can challenge at notice to vacate.

    can the landlord come in?

    As a tenant you have a right to ‘quiet enjoyment’ of your home. This means the landlord or real estate agent can only enter your home if they meet certain requirements. See privacy and entry.

    what if the landlord does something wrong?

    The landlord has a number of “duties” set out in law. If the landlord does not do their legal duty it is a “breach of duty”. Find out what you can do when the landlord breaches their duties.

    can I leave before the end of my lease?

    In some cases, you may be able to leave early without paying lease break costs. See breaking a lease.

    can you help with problems between tenants or neighbours?

    Tenants Victoria is unable to provide advice on disputes between tenants or disputes between neighbours. You may be able to get help from:

    why isn’t the phone working?

    We’re sorry if you have not been able to get through to our Tenants Advice Line. The phone service is working. Unfortunately, due to high demand and limited phone lines it can take a long time to get through. If your call does not connect or you hear the engaged tone, it means all phone lines are full.

    We would like to help you, so please keep trying. You can try to call tenants advice line again. Or you can try our email advice service early in the day.  

    Before you call, please check our website advice where there is lots of information on common renting topics.

    Or you can contact other free services:

    Tenants Victoria acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government.