tenants advice line: (03) 9416 2577

    Free and confidential advice for tenants.

    Monday to Friday 9.00am to 4.00pm

    For information about your privacy when using our services, see the Legal Service Privacy Policy.
    For information about the standards you agree to when using our services, see our client service charter.

    who we help

    We help tenants and residents renting residential accommodation in Victoria.
    We don’t help landlords, owners or agents. Landlords can call Consumer Affairs Victoria for advice on 1300 55 81 81.

    what we can help you with

    On the tenants advice line we can provide information and basic advice about problems with landlords, owners and agents and some tenancy issues related to family violence.

    We don’t provide advice on problems between tenants except in cases of family violence or serious threats to personal safety.
    We don’t provide advice on problems between neighbours.
    See Neighbours, the law and you (Victoria Legal Aid website) or contact your local council (vic.gov website).
    If you need legal advice you can contact your local community legal centre (FCLC website).

    information and basic advice only

    We try to keep our calls as short as possible but with enough time to respond properly to your enquiry. Generally, calls take about 5-10 minutes. Our advisers can only provide information and basic advice by phone. If your tenancy problem is complex then we may make an appointment time for you to see us.
    If you need to see someone in person you can visit your local tenancy service.

    high demand

    There is a high demand for our phone service and we may not be able to answer your call immediately. Your call may be placed in a queue and will be answered as quickly as possible but please note that hold times during busy periods are often 20 minutes or more. If you hear the engaged signal this means that the queues are full and you can try again later. Your patience is appreciated.

    avoid long waits

    Your question may already be answered on our website. You can find general legal information on many common tenancy topics as well as fact sheets and step-by-step guides at: advice.

    before you call

    Make sure you have checked the opening and closing times and have the following items handy:

    • pen and paper
    • name of your landlord and real estate agency
    • any relevant documents, including your tenancy agreement, any notices that you have received such as a Notice to Vacate and any letters to or from your landlord or real estate agent

    Tenants Victoria acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government.