The new Victorian laws temporarily change how the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 operates in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. These laws will apply for 6 months from 29 March 2020.
The changes introduced by the new laws include:
• changes to evictions, including a ban on notices to vacate
• a ban on rent increases
• changes to when tenants can move out (see updates on changes to this)
• changes to tenants’ obligations, if related to COVID-19
• restrictions on tenant database listing, if related to COVID-19
• new protections for victim-survivors of family violence
• a new dispute resolution process for tenants and landlords.
For more information and answers to common questions about these new laws, visit our COVID-19 guide for renters.